If you've ever...
- had scarring church or religious experiences
- had unfulfilling or dysfunctional romantic relationships
- had an unhealthy relationship with your emotions & body
- not been equipped to live holistically healthy lives through the powerful wisdom of both psychology & spirituality
...there's healing & freedom for you.
Sometimes, we find ourselves in well-meaning but harmful "Christian" cultures where we learn incomplete & damaging ways of life that leave us wounded.
If untended, those wounds birth bitterness, stunted emotional maturity, & unhealthy relationships that don't give the freedom & fulfillment we crave.
This is all part of Religious Trauma Syndrome.
What is RTS?
Religious Trauma Syndrome (RTS) can be defined as the set of symptoms or aversive negative experiences an individual encounters upon their decision to leave an abusive & toxic religious institution or way of life. While RTS is not currently a diagnosable condition under the Diagnostic & Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5), growing research on RTS is bringing to light an important need for helping professionals to respond to. As a subset of Complex-Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (C-PTSD), RTS has real consequences and causes that can be addressed on the individual level and systematically.
If you don't feel free, there's more for you.
Truth is never controlling, manipulative, dominating, or shaming. Truth is always empowering, loving, hopeful, and life-giving. If you've lived to adhere to a "truth" only to have your burden worsen, there's a better way. But, sometimes, it's hard to know what's True.
Common truth-mistypes & symptoms of RTS:
Common truth-mistypes & symptoms of RTS:
- ignoring, suppressing, and/or despising emotional experiences because 'the heart is deceitful and wicked' and emotions are unreliable
- mistreating and/or dismissing the body and its natural signals of safety and threat in order to 'put the flesh to death'
- remaining in dysfunctional or abusive relationship patterns in the name of forgiveness, loyalty, love, and humility
- embracing anxiety and depression as identities or deserved punishments for sin
- deleting parts of who you are in order to fit a 'biblical' model
I'm a compassionate companion & coach through your healing and offering life-giving encounters with Jesus -- NOT institutions.
Freedom & healing methods // Free initial in person consultation
- acceptance of and listening to the wisdom found in the body
- connecting with and becoming aware of emotions
- deconstructing and reconstructing Truth and it's place in your life
- discovering 'you' and what you have to offer the world void of expectations, guilt, or shame
- identifying and restoring unhealthy relationship patterns
- practices of prayer, meditation, journaling, and other preferred life-enrichment methods
- journeying towards wholeness through the wisdom of the Enneagram
- healing what wants to be healed, changing what wants to be changed, and releasing what wants to be released
Taylor is a prophet; her words are like fire but they are delivered with kindness and grace. She champions truth with the spiritual health of others at the forefront of her mind." - Naomi Latta, Pastoral Coordinator at Vineyard Church Delaware County
Taylor is creative, compassionate, committed, and prayerful. I can't think of a better combination of gifts for any endeavor!" - Kathleen Bolduc, Author and Spiritual Director at Cloudland Retreat Center
I've been where you are. Poor coaching and counseling can exacerbate the very issues we're trying to heal from. My approach is validating, open-minded and accepting with a goal to introduce you to true freedom through meeting Jesus. If that name is triggering, I understand. You won't be asked to fit into any mold or way of life that doesn't resonate with you. Your healing and freedom are my utmost priority.
I believe Jesus Christ is the Way, the Truth, and the Life for all who believe.
I believe Jesus' manifestation in the world always combats legalism, always loves people, and always transforms lives.
I believe if you've given up on Jesus, you've never met the real one.
I spent my high school years in a toxic religious environment that lead to depression, anxiety, and dysfunctional relationship patterns. In college, I found true freedom through an encounter with Jesus Christ and a community of people who let me be me. Now, I serve as a youth pastor, worship leader, and creative for a local church determined to combat toxic religiosity like Jesus did. My dream is that every person experiences the same depth of wholeness and healing that I've found and lives in complete freedom from their pasts.